Plans are underway for the repair and replacement of the Rumble Pond Park South Trail system. This trail is located east of Bathurst Street and south of Mill Street. The proposed work includes upgrades to the playground, pathway, bridge crossings and steps as well as an option to relocate the playground to Pleasantville Park.
An online public consultation process was conducted between December 7, 2020 and January 4, 2021. During this time, local residents had the opportunity to review and provide comments on the proposed plans. It was determined through this process that Option 1 – Remove and replace the Rumble Pond Park South Trail playground in its current location is the preferred option receiving the majority of interest.
Based on the consultation results, the City plans to proceed with the implementation of the proposed concept, which will include the following changes;
· Remove and replace the Rumble Pond Park South Trail playground in its current location (Option 1).
· The proposed outdoor classroom will be removed from the design in its entirety.
· Replace damaged and/or removed plant material along the Carrington Drive entrance with some flowering plant material.
· Include plant material that attracts wildlife.
· Install wayfinding signage at all trail entrances that highlight the playground location.
Rumble Pond Park South Trail
Southeast corner of Bathurst St. and Mill St.
Following the consultation process the City of Richmond Hill has determined that Option 1-Remove and replace the Rumble Pond Park South Trail playground in its current location is the preferred option. See summary matrix below:
- Remove and replace playground in current location
- 58% of respondents are in favour of this option
- Less impact to residents
- Reduced construction impacts
- This option will not affect the open green space at Pleasantville Park
- Cost effective option relative to Option 2
- Remove and relocate playground to Pleasantville Park
- 42% of respondents are in favour of this option
- This option will conflict with existing storm sewer line
- This option will impact to surface drainage patterns that may cause future issues
Resident Suggested Option
- Replace playground at Pleasantville Public School
- Poses liability and insurance concerns for the City
- Reduced level of service based on Richmond Hill Parks Plan
- City will not be able to control the level and frequency of playground maintenance
- Pleasantville Public School playground and surrounding area would require a redesign to ensure public access is open and not physically and visually restricted
- City will have no control over any real estate issues if the property were to be sold in the future