Learn How to Save Your Seeds!
When: Saturday, October 21, 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Where: Richmond Hill Central Library
Fall is the perfect time to start preparing for next year’s garden. Join Evergreen for a FREE hands-on workshop that will teach you how to harvest seeds from your own vegetables to use in next year’s garden!
To sign up, or for more information, please contact Nura Mazloom, Project Coordinator at 416-596-1495 or by email at [email protected]
Create a Backyard Oasis!
Now booking fall consultations for spring planting! A partnership between Richmond Hill, York Region and LEAF (Local Enhancement and Appreciation of Forests), the program provides trees to residents at a subsidized cost. You have the option to purchase a tree, shrubs, native garden kits, or fruit tree and shrub kits.
$150 – $220 will get you:
-a 30-minute consultation with an arborist,
-a 5 to 8-foot deciduous tall tree OR 2 to 4-foot tall evergreen tree
-full planting service, mulch and care guide
Make your home more energy-efficient by following these helpful tips:
- Switch to LED or Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) lights and light fixtures.
- Install an advanced power bar to reduce energy used by devices on stand-by mode – like cable boxes, computers and gaming systems.
- Use Energy Star certified appliances and electronics
- Use weather-stripping on windows and doors to improve temperature consistency throughout your home.
- Change furnace filters regularly.
- Use cold water for full loads of laundry
- Reduce heating costs by installing a smart programmable thermostat.
- Wrap your electric water heater with an insulating blanket to reduce heat loss.
Visit greenon.ca to learn more about reducing energy use and to find out about incentive programs available in your area.