Richmond Hill is excited to announce construction is now complete on the redevelopment of David Hamilton Park and the expansion of Ed Sackfield Arena!
The project was completed under budget and introduces a number of new amenities for residents. David Hamilton Park now features a splash pad, two playgrounds, multi-use sports court, outdoor fitness equipment and two table tennis stations, among other improvements. The new wing of Ed Sackfield Arena includes an NHL-sized ice rink and a fitness centre with a weight room, aerobics studio and the City’s first indoor track.
As part of Council’s and the City’s commitments to protecting our natural environment, both projects feature a number of environmental elements and innovations, including:
· LEED Silver certification, in part through the use of recycled content in material and environmentally-friendly
· more than 400 new trees planted
· new naturalized areas to foster and promote habitat for birds, butterflies and small mammals
· a system to recycle water from the splash pad to irrigate the sports fields
· energy efficient design to prevent heat loss
· use of LED lighting fixtures and room light sensors
While David Hamilton Park opened to the public last month, Ed Sackfield Arena and Fitness Centre currently remain closed to the general public (except for ice rental permits) due to COVID-19. The City anticipates opening the fitness centre and indoor track this fall, however residents can explore the new amenities virtually at RichmondHill.ca/VirtualCelebration.