Welcome to your new rapidway! The Yonge Street rapidway brings bus rapid transit in dedicated lanes to Richmond Hill and is the last 6.5 kilometres of the 34-kilometre first phase of York Region’s rapid transit network. As the population continues to grow, these new travel options are helping everyone make connections in Richmond Hill, York Region and beyond.
What you need to know:
- During the first few days of service, on site signs at the curb and on vivastation platforms will help direct customers.
- Riders can now board Viva in the centre lane rapidway at any of the seven new vivastations: Bantry/Scott, 16th/Carrville, Weldrick, Major Mackenzie, Elgin Mills, Bernard and 19th/Gamble.
- The rapidway connects to Bernard Terminal, Richmond Hill Centre Terminal, regional rail at Langstaff GO Station, and bus routes along Highway 7 in Richmond Hill, Markham and Vaughan. It will also connect to the future Yonge North Subway Extension which will extend the TTC’s Line 1 subway from Finch Avenue along Yonge Street up to Highway 7.
- Buses headed north on Yonge will connect to the rapidway in Newmarket from Savage Road/Sawmill Valley Drive, which meets up with the Davis Drive rapidway and offers connections to Newmarket Bus Terminal, regional rail at Newmarket GO Station, Southlake Regional Health Centre and the Highway 404 park and ride.
- Wide, tree-lined sidewalks, dedicated bike lanes and upgraded utilities bring convenience and beauty to the area.
- Motorists should be aware that the red “BUS ONLY” rapidway lanes are intended only for Viva buses. Emergency service vehicles may also use the rapidway lanes – an added benefit the rapidways bring to save valuable time when it is truly needed
When getting to and from everywhere is this easy, rapidways attract people to shop, eat, work and live in the area. Fast, convenient travel options connect people and places, while helping to support growth. If you have any questions, please take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions or feel free to contact one of your Community Liaisons.