From the Desk of Mayor David West
July E-Newsletter 2023
Happy Canada Day! Were you able to celebrate at Richmond Green on July 1st? Perhaps you spent the day with family and friends. As summer arrives in earnest, Richmond Hill is hopping with activities for all ages. Don’t forget to utilize our splash pads and our cooling centre facilities as the temperatures soar. Please continue to be good neighbours and check in on those who may be struggling in this heat.
This edition has some June highlights including new business announcements, summer fun activities and City Council news.
Please share this e-newsletter with anyone you know who would like to receive this mailing and encourage them to sign up to receive my monthly e-newsletter in their inbox.
Thanks for reading!
Mayor David West
City of Richmond Hill
Major Announcements in Richmond Hill
t was the highlight of my month to join the Collision Conference and announce that Canada Computers and Merry Electronics are opening head offices in Richmond Hill and bringing additional jobs to the community.
Previously this term, I joined Canada Computers at their groundbreaking event in Barker Business Park on their new, state-of-the-art headquarters and main distribution centre, which will support future expansions. We are proud to host the largest Canadian-owned retailer of computers and electronics.
We are excited that Merry Electronics, a world-leading manufacturer of Total Electro-acoustics Solutions with headquarters in Taiwan, has chosen Richmond Hill for their North American headquarters. Merry Electronics already has 18 locations throughout the world, including China, the United States, Singapore and Thailand.
Thanks to Richmond Hill Economic Development and YorkLink. These announcements represent significant growth and investment for our community. They also affirm our community is the place where ‘talent and opportunity intersect’.
What's On in Richmond Hill
The Strategic Plan Survey is open and ready for your input. Please take a few minutes and complete this online survey to add your opinions and input as we work to shape the future plans for Richmond Hill. There are two community booths planned where City staff will be available to answer any questions you might have.
Summer Series is in full swing with outdoor events planned for the whole family.
- Ribfest is coming soon and it is going retro this year! Join this 3 day festival on July 21-23 at Richmond Green Park and enjoy hits from the past, visit the Vintage Community Garage Sale, and enjoy food, fun, and games. Did you know there are limited “fast passes” available so you can skip the line for your favourite ‘ribber’?
Act quickly to secure your 30 minute window by registering here.
- Tuesdays: Live in the Plaza at the Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts
- Wednesdays: Open Mic also at the RHCPA.
- Thursdays: Concerts in the Park happening at the Mill Pond Park from 7-9 p.m.
Visit the City website for the full schedule of festivals and events. See you there!
In July we stand as a nation and celebrate Canada Day together.
July 18 is the 10th anniversary of Nelson Mandela Day, honouring the legacy of Nelson Mandela and his values, through volunteering, community service, tackling poverty and promoting peace, reconciliation and cultural diversity.
Let’s continue to SHOW our diversity, our equity, and
our inclusive attitudes through actions.
It was a pleasure to join my colleagues from Richmond Hill City Council and our Provincial MPPs as we celebrated Canada Day with Richmond Hill residents. Thank you to the City staff, volunteers, performers, and attendees who all contributed to make it a phenomenal success.
Council Approves Town Park Master Plan
Richmond Hill Council approved the Town Park Master Plan, furthering our commitment to enhancing green spaces and developing multi-functional, all-season recreational amenities as set out through the Parks Plan.
Town Park opened in 1885 and was the first park in Richmond Hill! The enhancements planned include:
- Interpretive signs and an attractive gateway to showcase the park’s history
- A continuous walkway along Verne Dynes Way and new pathways around the park
- A ‘Class A’ ball diamond will be constructed
- A pollinator meadow
- Additional seating spaces including the picnic pavilions
- Revitalized playground
- Updated & colour-coated tennis courts which will be multi-lined to allow for pickleball play and so much more! For all the details, visit RichmondHill.ca/ParksProjects.
In June, the Ontario government announced that 26 municipalities would be granted the “Strong Mayor Powers”.
As I said in my press release June 16, at City Council June 28, and repeatedly in the media, although this is intended to be another tool in our proverbial toolbox to support the Housing Targets set for 2031, it is not one I expect we will need in Richmond Hill.
To date, this Council has worked to establish a healthy and productive environment that allows us to focus on serving our constituents and I believe that the principle of majority rule is how we will continue to best serve the residents of Richmond Hill.
Moving Around in Richmond Hill
School is out for summer! That means as we move around our city, I encourage you to have extra vigilance on the roads. Summer days encourage us to get out and walk, run, and bike so here are some tips and reminders.
- From Aidan D’Souza, a member of Parachute’s Canada Youth Road Safety Council, 5 Tips to Keep you Safe and Active on your Bicycle
- Tips from Smart Commute Markham and Richmond Hill: with the recent warm weather now is the perfect time to go on a walk! Check out the benefits of incorporating a 20 minute walk into your daily routine.
- Download this Richmond Hill Cycling Trails Map, remember to share the trail and enjoy summer in the city!
Immigrant Stories at the RHPL
Celebrate the rich tapestry of the immigrant experience, filled with stories of strength, courage, sacrifice, and hope.
From June 27 to August 23 at Richmond Hill Public Library Central Branch.
Retro Ribfest has a Vintage Garage Sale!
Saturday July 22 at Richmond Green....
Oneness-Home Peace Run
“Peace Begins With Me”
Meet the international runners of the Oneness-Home Peace Run, a global torch relay to remind us that we can each participate in creating a more harmonious world.
- Peace Garden at Vishnu Mandir Saturday, July 29, 11:30 to 12:30 p.m.
- free community event.
Add your own aspiration, hope and dream for a more harmonious world.
Richmond Hill June Events
Here are a few of the events I was privileged to participate in lately, on behalf of the City of Richmond Hill
Important Numbers and Information